PM&C has a responsibility to the Australian Government and the wider community to minimise the impact of our operations on the environment.
In 2017–18 we continued to mitigate the effects of our impact on the environment by:
- including environmental impacts in our purchasing policies where appropriate
- complying with all relevant Commonwealth, state and territory environmental legislation, regulations, policies and initiatives
- using technology such as telepresence and desktop videoconferencing to facilitate meetings with interstate colleagues where appropriate
- encouraging and supporting staff to utilise environmentally friendly modes of transport
- transitioning to a flexible, activity-based working environment in Centraplaza, 16 Bowes Place, Woden, and commencing the implementation of the same flexible, activity-based approach to working at 1 National Circuit, Barton, in order to consolidate the Canberra office accommodation from three to two properties
- co-locating with other agencies in regional locations as leases expire or when opportunities arise.
During 2017–18 we minimised our impacts on the environment in the areas of energy efficiency, waste and water use by:
- maintaining a National Australian Built Environment Rating System (NABERS) rating of 4.5 stars for whole building energy; and achieving a 5-star rating for base building energy and 3.5 stars for water at 1 National Circuit, Barton
- maintaining a 5-star base building NABERS rating for building energy at Centraplaza, 16 Bowes Place, Woden
- monitoring energy usage at our properties across Australia to identify potential savings
- regularly monitoring levels of waste recycling
- moving to a ‘paper-light office’ by supporting the use of electronic document management and collaboration as well as digital and mobile technology solutions for many staff (iPads, laptops)
- utilising a 70,000 litre rainwater tank to flush toilets and water the gardens at 1 National Circuit, Barton
- encouraging recycling by providing recycling bins as well as waste bins, with suitable waste composted by a recycling provider
- reducing the number of bins on each floor at Centraplaza by 85 per cent—from 92 bins to seven general waste bins and seven recycling bins—by introducing the new flexible work environment
- using drought tolerant plants in gardens at 1 National Circuit, Barton
- participating in Earth Hour across more than 100 sites
- maintaining an Environmental Management System (EMS) based on the Australian Standard AS/NZS ISO 14001
- defaulting office printers to black and white and two-sided printing
- using energy saver mode for most office equipment when not in use across Canberra office locations
- purchasing up to 10 per cent of the energy for tenant power from green power sources for Canberra offices.